Monday, October 19, 2009

Will a Cat5e splitter work with a cable modem to send info to two computers?

I have two computers in the same room. One cable modem and connection. I occasionally need to use the internet on the computer that is not set up with the service that I use. I bought an extra Cat5e cable last night. If I buy the splitter and connect it to the Modem---then connect each Cat5e to the computers---will I be able to get the signal O.K. on the 2nd computer? Is there a certain type of splitter that I need to get? I really don't want the cable company to come back out plus have to pay extra for something I rarely will use.



Thank you.



Will a Cat5e splitter work with a cable modem to send info to two computers?cafe racer



Ugh. I hate when people give overly complicated answers that say nothing at all. Don't bother with the splitter because there's no such thing as a Cat5 splitter. ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is a joke and more of a pain in the @$$ to set up than it's worth. Cable modems will not hand out more than one IP address unless you pay a double fee per month, so a hub/switch will not work.



You need a router. Go to CompUSA or Best Buy and pick up a Linksys BEFSR41 for $40. (If you even THINK you will be getting a laptop any time soon, just get a Linksys WRT54G instead -- It's the same router but with wireless, and costs about $60) You should have a router anyway, even if you only have one computer, since a router will help to stop hackers from breaking into your computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment