Monday, October 19, 2009

Why does my Java application look different on different computers?

I may not have provided enough information here, but which seems the most likely?



I wrote a program, compiled using the most recent jdk (JDK 6).



I am trying to run this program on another computer with an older JRE. The formatting looks all wrong.



Which of the following is most likely the cause of my problem:



* Resolution of the two computers are different



* The JRE is too old. I more recent JRE would solve the problem



* The JDK is too new. An older JDK would solve the problem.



* Something else?



Why does my Java application look different on different computers?free spyware remover



As long as you are running on the same platform (both computers are windows or both are mac, etc) the jre should behave the same. The intent is to be backward compatible. The most likely cause of those listed is the resolution. But your application could also be using different fonts on the different computers.



The best place to start is to set the resolution on the dev machine to be the same as the machine with the older jre.



But it would be really easy to change all the variables (one at a time of course) to see what affects it the most. Getting an old jdk to build with, or a new jre to run with isn't too hard.



But I would check the fonts as well. Good Luck.



Why does my Java application look different on different computers?ktm

No comments:

Post a Comment