Thursday, October 22, 2009

How can I set up my DSL/router so that all 4 computers can access a Cisco VPN simultaneously?

The DSL is plugged into the uplink of the router. 4 computers are then plugged into the router's ports. Any single computer can access the VPN, but never more then 1 at a time. When a 2nd computer attempts to access, either it is denied or the 1st computer is disconnected. It is a CISCO VPN and the software is installed on each machine. It is a Linksys router (unsure what model - it is at a remote location). Our server is Win2003 w/a Cisco hardware firewall, and i am able to access it from secondary locations at the same time as other people at tertiary locations.



How can I set up my DSL/router so that all 4 computers can access a Cisco VPN simultaneously?nortan



I presume that you are accessing a remote Cisco router via an IPSec VPN from your DSL location. I also presume that you have VPN clients on each pc and are trying to access the Cisco from each, probably simultaneously. This is likely the problem.



The Linksys router is not capable of hosting a VPN on the router. Replace it with a router that can (e.g. Adtran 2040 Enhanced or a Cisco 800 series - I am not sure of the exact number). Configure the Adtran to host the VPN to the Cisco. Retire the VPN clients on the network pcs. Now the IPSec VPN is based on the routers and all should work.



How can I set up my DSL/router so that all 4 computers can access a Cisco VPN simultaneously?noton

No comments:

Post a Comment