Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How will port forwarding for my xbox affect other computers on my network?

I want to use port forwarding for my xbox, and have insgructions on doing it, but I'm afraid that it will cause the computers on my home wireless network to stop connecting to the internet. Do I have to set up each computer individually?



How will port forwarding for my xbox affect other computers on my network?symatec



Port forwarding to your x-box correctly should have no affect on other computers on your network.



Port forwarding is necessery when you access the internet through a router.



When one of your computers wants to make a connection to the internet (e.g. a website) there's no problem - it can see the website and connects to it through the router.



The problem is when other people want to connect to one of your computers - all they have is your IP address, and your IP address directs to your router, not to any of your computers.



So, the solution is "port forwarding" - a very simple rule you set up on your router, that tells it that incoming connection attempts on any port should go to one computers on your network.



So, if I want to connect to your x-box, even though your IP address points to your router, if I try to connect on port 6000, and you've set up a rule on your router that says "all incoming connection attempts on port 6000 should be forwarded to my x-box", then there's no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment