Sunday, September 20, 2009

After asking a question about sharing a folder between computers, I have more questions. I don'

I asked a question about sharing a folder on two computers, and someone was kind enough to tell me the 2 ip addresses must be in the same network.



I've had a class in networking and I know about subnetting. From what I understand, "same network" means "same subnet".



What I don't understand is right now I have 2 computers.



The first one is a laptop which is assigned an ip address automatically. The second one is a desktop which also has an ip address assigned automatically.



1.How do I make the 2 ip addresses belong to the same subnet?



If I assign new ip addresses to my 2 machines by putting in ip address at TCP/IP properties, wouldn't that mess up my internet connection?



2.In order to figure out the range of each of the subnet, you need to know whether it's /24, /28, /30, etc (I don't remember exactly what this /value is called). How do you find out which /value applies to your network?



I hope my questions are not confusing.



Thank you very much



After asking a question about sharing a folder between computers, I have more questions. I don't understandvirus



Goto each machine and get their IP addresses.



Windows:



Command line : ipconfig /all



This will display your ip address.



You;re likely on a home router and I will take a stab and assume they are already on the same class c network 192.168.x.x

No comments:

Post a Comment