Thursday, November 5, 2009

How can I detect which computers are connected to a network?

I need some network command that works similar to the famous "ping" instruction, except that it causes all computers on my LAN to send me back echo replies. I do not want to carry out trial and error, trying to ping all possible IPs on my LAN.



How can I detect which computers are connected to a network?download



I agree with John, Ping is a ICMP based command and will only work with it being unblocked within your network. Airsnare as suggest will work only on wireless networks. If a network scanner doesn't work because its being blocked. You can try programs like Wireshark and Etherpeek that can monitor all the traffic on your network segment in most cases regardless of the protocol . Etherpeek I believe has a more organized way of displaying a list of hosts it heard traffic from, but both will give you an idea.



How can I detect which computers are connected to a network?hijackthis



There is a program I use to find all the clients on a network. It is called AirSnare and can be downloaded from http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airs...



This program monitors the network traffic and will show a listing of all clients on the network, regardless of status. I use this as a troubleshooting tool when I can't get a client to operate properly. The program will provide you a list of the clients, their MAC address and the IP if they have resolved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment