Saturday, June 19, 2010

How do I allow other computers to share the information on my desktop through my wireless network?

I have three laptops that all have file sharing enabled through our home wireless network and am setting up my desktop right now. I cannot for the life of me remember how I allowed the other computers to share their hard drives. I viewed my wireless network properties (where I thought I did it before) and I can't find it. Please help me. I want all my laptops to have access to my desktop's hard drive via my wireless network.



Thank you for any help.



How do I allow other computers to share the information on my desktop through my wireless network?norton ghost



To access your desktop's hard drive (and you have simple file sharing disabled), you right click on your hard drive and click on Sharing and Security. Enable sharing, and put in whatever share name you would like to use. You can also allow the write permission through this dialog box if you want to save work from your laptops onto your desktop.



The next step is to make sure that all 4 PCs are in the same workgroup. To find this out right click My Computer and go to Properties. Under the Computer Name tab you will find what workgroup you are currently a part of. If they are not the same, click on Change in that dialog box and change them all to the same workgroup.



Then you can map a drive on your laptops to have your desktop's hard drive on your laptops. To do this right click on My Computer and go to Map Network Drive. Choose a drive letter and for the shared resource type in \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\shared_name. The x's stand for your desktop's IP address. Then click finish and then in My Computer you should see a drive for your desktop's hard drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment